[Coco] OS-9 Floppies - Conversion to DSK format?

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Fri Jun 1 00:35:53 EDT 2007

First off, I want to thank again everyone who offerred suggestions on
how I could figure out sides/tracks for the OS-9 disks I have from
Carey, that I am converting.

I especially want to thank Bob Devries for posting his OS-9 Disk
Identifier program written in DECB. Using it, I made quick work in
identifying what was what with all of the OS-9 disks I have. The
majority of them were 35 track/single-sided (that is, they were either
actual single-sided 35 track floppies, or two 35 track sides on a
"flippy") and 40 track/double-sided - essentially "standard" OS-9
floppies. I did find a few which weren't identifyable (one side may be
DECB, or something else entirely, or maybe unreadable - I don't know
yet), plus one really strange disk which identified as 80 track, 96TPI,
double-sided. That one I am saving for last in this conversion process.

So - now I am doing the conversion. As all of you may or may not be
aware, I am using RETRIEVE.EXE, included with Jeff Vavasour's CoCo 3
emulator, to grab a DSK format image of the floppy. Herein lies my problem:

RETRIEVE.EXE can grab an image from only one side of a floppy. For 35
and 40 track single-sided OS-9 floppies, this isn't a problem. In fact,
the first disk I converted in my OS-9 batch was a 35 track single-sided
floppy disk companion (?) for the book "The Rainbow Guide to OS-9".

However, my second floppy is a 40 track, double-sided floppy. Now, I can
grab one side of it, and quite possibly even grab the other side -
winding up with one or two 181K DSK images.

This isn't what I want, though - I want a single DSK image that contains
all the data from both sides of the original 40 track, double-sided floppy.

Furthermore, based on what I am reading in the documentation for Jeff's
emulator, it seems to state that it can't handle virtual disks with two
  sides. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I also have David Keil's CoCo 3 emulator as well - can I use it in some
manner to create the virtual DSK image I need?

Or - am I up a creek? I am willing to build a new CoCo emulation box
using Linux and MESS, if that is what it would take (if there is
software to grab the image under Linux?).

Once again, my setup for this project is as follows:

	1. DOS (Caldera OpenDOS) PC for emulation use (w/ 5.25
            floppy drive as A:)
	2. Jeff Vavasour's CoCo 2 & 3 emulators under DOS
	3. David Keil's CoCo 3 & 3 emulators under DOS
	4. CoCo 3 w/ 512K and dual DSDD floppy drives
         5. Mandrake 10.1 Linux box (for documentation)

Once again, I don't have a Windows box with a 5.25 floppy drive
installed - unless there is no other way to do what I am wanting to do,
I would prefer to avoid building such a box.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions - you guys have been a great
help to me in this project so far!

Sincerely,

-- Andrew L. Ayers
    Glendale, Arizona