[Coco] OT:WiFi assist

Tony Mori tonym at compusource.net
Tue Jul 31 23:53:01 EDT 2007

Hope you folks don't mind...I figured with so many people, I could find an
option.

I have an application that requires an ethernet-to-WiFi bridge. 802.11g,
MUST be g, no mixed-mode.
The WAP is a Cisco enterprise unit, dual radios: 11b/g, and 11a. it will NOT
do mixed-mode on the b/g.
either it's b, connecting b and g clients at b speeds, or it's set to g, not
working with b-clients (sucks, huh?)

The 11b/g radio has 2 SSID's assigned: 1 open for customers to use, 1 is
WPA-PSK with TKIP and a key.
I tried utilizing a DLink DWL-G820 wireless gaming/bridge, configured the
WPA-SSID, set to WPA-PSK,
put in the key. works for about 30-60 seconds, then drops, and connects to
the open SSID.

The DWL-G820, and the device on it's ethernet, are IP'd to ONLY work on that
encrypted SSID over a VLAN,
hence I *NEED* it to STAY locked on that SSID. It doesn't, and DLink says
there's no way to lock it.

question is:

Does anyone know of an 802.11g device that WILL stay locked to that
encrypted SSID, and not revert to the open one?
Needs to be an ethernet-to-WiFi, because I am attaching a Digi One SP
serial-to-ethernet bridge to the ethernet port
of the wireless device I use.

Digi: http://www.digi.com/products/serialservers/digionesp.jsp

THIS Digi device would've been ideal, but it's 802.11b only, and I'd have to
lock the WAP to 802.11b, which would stink:
http://www.digi.com/products/serialservers/digiconnectwisp.jsp

Thanks!
Tony