[Coco] CoCo 3 FPGA?

Jim Cox jimcox at miba51.com
Tue Jul 31 12:58:15 EDT 2007

I believe every person on this list is looking forward to
this project. :)

I would love to see an FPGA version of the CoCo-3 come out
not just because I am a CoCoNut, but because as I have
said before, I feel a lot of kids today do not fully
appreciate the complexity of a computer, and they have
missed out on the joys of learning on a system like the
CoCo.  There is too much black boxing and "magic" with the
newer computers.

An FPGA based CoCo3 would provide a lot of younger
computer enthusiasts the opportunity to learn more about
the workings of a computer. I am wondering if it would be
possible to incorporate an expansion bus or even a
pro-board into such a project.  Using an expansion bus or
proto-board you could even use chips such as the PIC and
Atmel to expand the CoCo even further

Imagine being a kid and having such a great learning tool,
and also having a bunch of experienced CoCoNuts eager to
help you learn.  I hope to be one of them once I get up to
speed again. :)

Jim