[Coco] Some OS9 Questions

Jim Hickle jlhickle at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 29 22:51:15 EDT 2007

Joel Ewy <jcewy at swbell.net> wrote:
So I haven't crunched out the numbers to know for sure, but I would
guess that it would be possible, at least in theory, for an
electromechanical hard disk disk (or a floppy disk) to be fragmented to
the point that it impacts performance even on the CoCo.  Likely?  I
don't know.  I guess it just depends on how you use your CoCo.

I recall the difference could be noticible on a floppy.  I used to keep a disk with compiler, editor, etc in my only drive and before a project was finished (if ever) the work files were in many fragments.  Defragging would noticibly speed up the edit/compile/re-edit cycle.  I haven't yet noticed much fragmentation with the hard drive.  Just in case,  the new directory utility I've written displays the number of segments in the extended listing. (ls -e)