[Coco] A semi-real CoCo topic

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 26 00:09:30 EDT 2007

Bob Devries wrote:

> Would it be possible to use part of the FPGA to act like a disk drive
> interface, possible IDE or even floppy? It sounds like you could just
> about have a coco3 in a cigar box :)

Absolutely. In fact, I'm doing exactly that right now (even as I type this
email!) for the Commodore 64.

One idea is to have a 'Coco/C64 on a chip' which has a CF/SD/MMC card
socket on-board. You could literally fit a working Coco with your entire
software library in your pocket - just add power, VGA and PS/2 keyboard.

For example, there's a similar device, albeit not as small, emulating an
MSX computer complete with cartridge sockets and SD/MMC card in a very
sexy commercial package...
<http://www.bazix.nl/onechipmsx.html>

How'd you like a Coco3 version of that? ;)

Regards,