[Coco] OT: Which Linux Distro?

Jim Hickle jlhickle at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 22:12:02 EDT 2007

Bob Devries <devries.bob at gmail.com> wrote: Gentlemen,
I have a Compaq Armada 1500c Laptop
.
It has 64MB RAM, and a ~366MHz Celeron processor and 12GB hard disk and a
CDROM drive. I also use a Belkin Wireless Network (802.11g) card in it. It
is model #FSD7010.

Which Linux Distro would be best to use? I know about DSL (Damn Small
Linux), but are there others which will install and run in such a small
footprint?

I run Debian (Woody) on a Compaq Deskpro, 233 MHz, 96 MB RAM. HD is maybe 2 or 4 GB.  Wireless is USB (802.11b) [i DON'T recommend these]; to use it i had to download and compile the newer kernel from the Sarge distro.  X windows works OK.

This machine ran like molasses with Win98; speed is much better with Linux.

I still prefer Slackware, though that may be because I've used it so much longer than Debian.  Whichever distro, if you don't need the latest release you can get it real cheap on CD's -- easier than downloading.