[Coco] [Color Computer] Need to know if I'm in safe waters here

Richard Adams yahoogroups36 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 24 15:20:27 EDT 2007

Good point, James, and one that I also made, years ago, in a published
letter to our old friend, "The Rainbow". I don't think Tom Mix could have a
valid copyright on Donkey King (or The King), or that Spectrum Associates
would have grounds for a copyright suit on Lancer.

I loved the variety of arcade knock-offs on the CoCo, and very much
appreciated the companies that made them, but I don't think they were
legitimately copyrightable, all the same. Interesting, how the lack of
copyright enforcement on the CoCo led to a competitive market that
encouraged better quality software. Compared to, say, the utterly lame
'Burgertime' game on the TI-99/4A, or the Atari 2600's dreadful rendition of
Pac-Man....

Ciao,

Richard

>From: "James Diffendaffer" <jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com>
>
>That may also mean that some of the old games that were clones of
>arcade machine games do not have valid copyrights.
>They were certainly closer copies of the arcade machines than KC
>Munchkin(?) was of PacMan.

SNIP