[Coco] Fedora Core 6 on a M305CRV Gateway laptop

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jul 24 00:55:14 EDT 2007

On Monday 23 July 2007, Roger Taylor wrote:
>At 11:01 PM 7/23/2007, you wrote:
>>Getting the ethernet port working should be a slam dunk.
>>In fact I'd be surprised if you didn't go through the configuration
>>at the beginning of the install.
>
>The port had quit working under Windows after I opened the laptop
>case one time to try to replace the DVD drive.  It's not working at
>this time.  No go on any networking.  My USB wireless G card (Belkin)
>is not supported or shown in the devices list.  If I can find this
>driver and save it on a CD from Vista, couldn't Linux read the CD ?

Humm, its possible the card has come partially unplugged, been known to happen
before.  Post the output if you can, of an 'lspci' command, done as root in a
terminal shell window.  It should identify the wireless cards chipset, and
maybe the ethernet card too.

And, since you've got your own firewall setup separately, edit
your /boot/grub/grub.conf and add an 'selinux=0' at the end of the kernel
argument line & reboot, that's the only way to totally disable it and it
could be why the networking isn't working.  If you want the belt and
suspenders feeling, it can be re-enabled later.  Then if networking or
something else quits, you know what to point your finger of admonishment at.

I'm headed for the sack, but AFAIK, I'm not going anyplace tomorrow except the
other end of the house to move stuff and finish varnishing a bead-board
ceiling.  Projects like that tend to run on coffee cuz their boring in
addition to heck on the shoulder joints when running a roller overhead.
Coffee recycling means I'll be in and out to check the email like a good
geek.

And linux should be able to read the cd if its burnt as a data cd.
--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)