[Coco] [Color Computer] Need to know if I'm in safe waters here

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 10:32:42 EDT 2007

If the encryption method used has no exploits and the key is large
enough it will take more silicon than is on this planet to make enough
chips to crack it through brute force before the copyrights expire.
And since each file is encrypted with a different key... good luck
with that.

Most original Coco owners will be dead before the copyrights expire
and nobody will care if something didn't get released.
Even if any Coco is still running by that time and any of us are still
alive... we'd probably decrypt the last file and say "this is crap!"

The point was to protect the copyrights but allow programs to be
released once permission was granted.  And if nobody is left around to
care by the time all the keys are released... who cares.  At least the
stuff would be preserved just in case anyone cared.
The actual media for the disks will probably degrade long before the
copyrights expire.