[Coco] [color computer] To: Hex Star

Hex Star hexstar at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 23:57:20 EDT 2007

On 7/21/07, George's Coco Address <yahoo at dvdplayersonly.com> wrote:

> Hex Star,
>
>   I want to take this time to educate you a little bit about email and
> people....
>
>   I've learned over the years that, even when on printed paper(hard
> copies),
> if you ask two or more questions or make two or more statements, the first
> one that lights a fuse will make the firecracker go POW! Everything that
> follows is moot.
>
>   Your original post of making all files for the Coco available on the
> 'net,
> lit the fuse.
>
>   If you had asked if it was a good idea, as Briza posted earlier........

> "Hi Fellow Coconuts.
>
> I have been a Coco user since X-Mas 86. I need to know is what you Guys &
> Gals think of my Coco Games Software DVD set. I intend making up.
> On this DVD set will be nearly every game ever Done on the Coco computers.
> Excluding Games that are still being marketed by Authors, Namely Nick
> Marentas and John Strong. But the DVD set will have in it Games and Docs.
> But not all games will have the Docs. As I have long lost them.
> What I need to know is how you fellow coconuts feel about it. I have
> already left a post in Roger's website stating my intentions for doing
> this
> DVD set.
> So far All I have recieved is a Thumbs up to the idea. It seems a lot of
> Coconuts would love to see this idea come to life. But As of late I have
> been having second thoughts after reading all the crap dealing with Hex
> Star
> and his preservation website. I'm worried that this set will end up being
> copied and sold on Ebay or put on a website.
> This DVD set has takened me 20 odd years of software collecting to get to
> this stage. Like Ira I would be devastated If my hard work was to be used
> for profit on ebay or website. So I might not even go through with my
> Idea.
> But if I do go through with it. 1st I want to get the opinions of the
> coconuts in here. secondly I will state that I will not be letting this
> collection be used for purposes it was not made for. This DVD set is for
> the
> pleasure of coco game players to enjoy games that have long disappeared or
> just hard to get thats all.
> And this set will contain games that are copyrighted. But I'm not going to
> be making money from this adventure. all it will be doing is paying the
> costs of material and time I spend cleaning it up and marketing. This set
> is
> for the pleasure of the community nothing more.
>
> laters
>
> Briza"

> You see, people don't just jump in and do things or announce that they are
> going to do so, without some sort of  input from a tightly knit group such
> as the Coco Group. We are very protective of our cocos, software and leery
> [...]

Thank you George, you truly are a kind person. :)

I have done as you have suggested:
http://five.pairlist.net/pipermail/coco/2007-July/030990.html and can only
hope it is not too late to reverse this mess. You are right, I should've
asked for permission to host the software instead of just announcing right
off the bat as soon as I joined that I'd be hosting everything coco related
as that means that I'd be violating people's wishes and that is absolutely
not right. I think that may be where people are getting the belief right
away that I'll be violating their wishes regarding their software if they
release it to the list. I want to do whatever I can to remove this feeling
and restore the calm regular operation of this list. I do have 100% good
intentions and never meant to make people so upset. I mainly believe that as
I have said before somewhere a misunderstanding stemmed that I was going to
disregard everyone's wishes abou software they release and host it anyways
and that misunderstanding is quickly spreading throughout the list. I want
to do what I can to get rid of that misunderstanding because it just is not
true and is hurting the community. I'd also like to get rid of this label as
troll as that is very much far from what my intentions are but this can only
be done if certain people stop repeatedly replying to my posts and labling
me as such...if we all work together we can reverse this damage and restore
everything to the happy state the list has always been
 in.