[Coco] CoCo Collection CD discontinued

Manny cocolist at invigorated.org
Fri Jul 20 15:36:34 EDT 2007

Hex Star wrote:
> On 7/20/07, Manny <cocolist at invigorated.org> wrote:
>>
>> Doesn't this fall under something like Ira's archive? What I mean
>> is, if the person compiling the archive doesn't wish for it to be
>> sold / distributed by someone else, shouldn't we just honor that?
>>
>> I mean, seriously, if you want your own archive, just go find the
>> files you want yourself outside of other's hard work. It's
>> obviously available somewhere out there to archive on your own
>> time.
>>
>> I know this is a gray area here. But I think I'd rather play it on
>> the side of respecting those that we know and that are truly in the
>>  community.
>>
>> Just my wee thoughts. :)
>
> Indeed this is a grey area, there is the respect side of things where
> the author has put a lot of work into the cd and thus deserves money
> for the cd. But then, what if he/she stops selling the cd? The cd
> really isn't filled with work originally done by the creator of the
> compilation but rather is a compilation of work by others and thus is
> filled with all kinds of different copyrights by different authors
> and with there may even be some works whose copyright is still
> enforced and thus should be on the compilation. But legally speaking
> I don't believe the author of the compilation has any real legal
> writes to protect the compilation because it is not his original work
>  that is on the cd but rather an assortment of other people's work.
> It's like a linux live cd, people work hard to make distro's like
> linux and people can freely distribute the cd's. They can't sue
> people for distributing the cd's because it's a compilation of other
> people's work which is under various licenses, the cd cannot and is
> not ever covered by a license determined by the compilator.

Didn't you read a bit of what I wrote? I don't give a rat's ass about
the money aspect of this. I was writing strictly about what happens when
said archiver doesn't _want_ his archive to be distributed (or in your
terms, sold) anymore.

I was suggesting, to anyone that has ears to hear (or eyes to see in
this case), that we should _RESPECT THAT PERSON'S WISHES_. Which means,
whether we have the legal privilege or not, we should not redistribute
or sell his compilation. This would cover not only Ira's work, but now
Roger's work, and anyone else's work, past or present.

This is about respecting others in the community. It's not about money
or anything else. If we truly respect the other person in the community,
no matter his or her background, we won't go against their wishes with
what they poured possibly years of their life in to. This can be said,
not only for compilations, but for what we put in to the compilations as
well. (Meaning binaries, or what have you.)

This little caveat may be why a growing number of people in this
community aren't seeing you in the light that you wish them to see you in...

-M.