[Coco] [OT]Speaking for the children (of all ages)

Tony Schountz schountz at south81.org
Sun Jul 15 18:29:20 EDT 2007

Gene,

The reasons outlined in this discussion are the basis of the South Beach
Diet. I went on it and dropped from 225 to 200 in about 6 months. Other
than the first two weeks of carb-free diet, it's been pretty easy to
follow. I just had to give up some of my favorite sources of simple
carbs: fruit juices, non-wheat breads, ice cream and beer. :-(

The biology and biochemistry is pretty straight forward. The more simple
carbs (e.g., sucrose, fructose, etc.) one eats the higher the
steady-state insulin levels. By doing the two weeks of carb-free, the
insulin levels return to normal steady state levels, then by foregoing
the simple carbs you bypass the production of fatty acids (which are
converted to fats for long-term storage).

The good news is, I can eat all the steak I want, and wine is good too! :-)

Tony