[Coco] MPI (Gene Heskett)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jul 13 04:35:01 EDT 2007

On Friday 13 July 2007, Willard Goosey wrote:
>>Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 08:20:15 -0700
>>From: Mike Pepe <lamune at doki-doki.net>
>>
>>I also don't believe that strapping the IRQs on a MPI would affect
>>anything outside of OS9 either. The disk controller doesn't use the IRQ.
>>  The orch90 doesn't. No program paks do either. Not sure about the S/S
>>pak. The only one I'm aware of that does at the moment is the RS232 pak.
>
>I do have an OS-9 concern about this:  My smartwatch is in my RS232
>pak's ROM socket.  Will that still work with the IRQ lines on the MPI
>strapped?
>
>Willard

Again, I don't think that will be effected.  I've had a hardware clock, either
in the b&B interface, a Disto 4n1, or now in the TC^3 scsi interface, never
had a problem with any of them that fiddling around with the driver didn't
fix.  The most obvious one was the clock driver Tony D. supplied with his
4n1, it ran perfect time when powered down, but lost about 6 minutes an hour
powered up.  That turned out to be that Tony was using the wrong freeze
command while the clock was being read, he was stopping the whole clock, when
what he really wanted to do was freeze the ripple counters long enough to get
a good reading.  Once that was fixed, even the 4n1 kept excellent time.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)