[Coco] MPI

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jul 11 09:40:41 EDT 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 July 2007, Robert Gault wrote:
>
>>Chester A Patterson wrote:
>>
>>>Hi. Through the years I've read that in the MultiPac Interface, in order
>>>to work better with OS9, needed to have all four of the pin X jumpered
>>>for some reason. I never did it. Silly me. What pin/signal was it and
>>>what was the reason? Thanks. /Chester
>>
>>I believe that problem has been bypassed by the new clock modules. There
>>was a discussion of this in Rainbow and it was found that the Coco GIME
>>can store interrupts which can be "released" by toggling the GIME IRQ lines.
>>

> That, unforch, is a separate, unrelated fix.  Both are valid fixes for IRQ
> related problems, but this I think is more related to the BLOB, boot list
> order bug.  Before that was found, I used to keep 4 different init modules
> around, using the one that would boot, now we don't have to.

That's not how I read it as it starts by saying it replaces the M.
Goodman hardware MPI modification for lost CART interrupts and "This
article describes a software technique that also eliminates the
lost-interrupt problem and doesn't require any hardware modifications."

Here is the reference so you can read it again and decide.
"Coco3 GIME CART IRQs Explained" by Bruce Isted, The Rainbow, Aug. 1990,
p20.