[Coco] A little help with DriveWire

Boisy Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Mon Jan 29 21:42:06 EST 2007

> Boisy, can you copy disk images from the host PC to a CoCo floppy, say
> by using DECB's BACKUP command using DriveWire?  The DriveWire
> documentation on the Cloud 9 site doesn't mention one way or the other
> whether the BACKUP command works.  I believe Marcus mentioned in an
> earlier post that he is getting a disk system.  If this works, then he
> can run his OS-9 and Sundog (etc) games from a real floppy disk.

Yes, BACKUP does work.  Insert the floppy disk in CoCo drive 0, and
insert the virtual disk in virtual drive 0 on the server.  Type the
following commands:

DRIVE ON
BACKUP 0 TO 1

The above commands make DriveWire's drive 0 active, and backs up the
disk in drive 0 to the disk in drive 1.  Keep in mind that a single
disk image under DriveWire has 256 'virtual' disks.  So we are
backing up the disk onto the same virtual file on the PC.

Now insert a blank floppy into drive 0 and type:

DRIVE OFF 0
DSKINI 0
BACKUP 1 TO 0

That will backup the disk in virtual drive 1 onto the floppy disk in
drive 0.

Hope this isn't too confusing.