[Coco] The Definitive Post on the CC-Five ;)

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Jan 29 19:42:14 EST 2007

On 29 Jan 2007 at 20:51, Fedor Steeman wrote:

> How about a HD63484 graphics chip? Or something similar? Surely we can
> buy up a lot of them at some legacy IC vendor? And surely such a chip
> is powerful and versatile enough to emulate a GIME+? Or do we want an
> all-FPGA solution?

*******************

Fedor

On occasion I see a HD63484 or two come up on Ebay. I have been unsuccessful
in getting  a winning bid in. I would love to get my  hands on two HD63484-9. The
grap hics of that chip is far more powerful than what the GIME does. Secondly it
has a graphics processor that does a lot of the commnads,if not all, in DECB.  It
could off  load much of the basic interpreters work by just issueing a draw
command and followed by the necessary bytes.

When I read the specs on that chip I just drooled. For the COCO3 it is quantum
step forward. I would love to see a desktop and a overlay window in DECB done
in hardware as opposed to software.

james