[Coco] The Definitive Post on the CC-Five ;)

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Jan 29 17:01:39 EST 2007

On 28 Jan 2007 at 22:38, Joel Ewy wrote:

> I realize it's far off, but since you mentioned the idea of improving
> the CPU, I wonder about the possibility of integrating the MMU/DAT
> with the 6x09 in such a way that concatenated index registers could be
> used as pointers into a much larger, linear address space.  So perhaps
> Z is a new virtual 32-bit address register composed of X and Y.  This
> won't affect the stack on interrupts, etc.  But it would allow you to
> directly manipulate data structures larger than 64K, as the 32-bit
> address can be fed directly into the MMU/DAT, and blocks mapped
> temporarily in for the duration of the instruction.  Obviously there
> would still be code size limitations.  But if we have big graphcs, big
> audio, etc, it would be nice to have big pointers.
>
> JCE

Joel

Any expansion of the CPU would be to drop the DAT and expand the Program co
unter to 24 bits. That would yield a direct addressing capability of 16M. That
would put it on par with the TC70 and MM1. Alternatively a "CALL" and
"RETURN" instruction would need to be added to the assembler. I believe that
would not be to difficult to implement. The assembler would have to determine if
the address jump were out of the range of the current 64K block and addjust the
upper byte of the PCR to reflect which block of 64K the call would be. In the CPU
the PCR could be stacked internally with the CALL instruction and pulled back off
with the RETURN instruction.

james

Just some musings I  had.