[Coco] CoCo 4/5 perspectives: close hardware emulation?

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sat Jan 27 23:25:28 EST 2007

Joel Ewy wrote:

>> Yes, they do!
> Nice.  I didn't know that.

Last few samples I had did UDMA mode 2 IIRC...

> Well yes, they have limited write cycles.  But for the kind of use we're
> thinking of, it would take quite a long time for them to wear out.  And
> I may be wrong, but don't modern CF cards try to spread the writes
> around so you don't have some areas going bad early?  If you leave a CF
> card on 24/7 it's not grinding away at motor bearings the whole time
> just by being powered up.

Yes, they reportedly do do wear-leveling, but whether or not the number of
write cycles claimed by manufacturers is what's experienced in practice, I
can't say. I have heard of them wearing out, but I can't comment on the
conditions they were subjected to.

Regards,