[Coco] CoCo 4 (or 5) perspectives: close hardware emulation?

Fedor Steeman petrander at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 15:27:27 EST 2007

Hi guys and thanks for some great responses,

I think that before we decide on how is going to program what in what
language, we should make a more or less abstract model of the emulator
software. AFAIU, a piece of hardware can basically be regarded as a set of
components exchanging signals. In object-oriented software design, this can
be expressed as a set of object exchanging messages or events. There are
very useful diagramming methods like UML that very effectively can
illustrate such a software design, so that it is also understandable to
those not involved in programming.

I have attached a very simple and very rough beginnings of a design model
for a hardware emulator for a CoCo1/2. There is a lot missing, but the most
essential components (CPU, SAM, VDG, RAM,...) are there.

The great things about this approach are the following:
* We can discuss an abstract, but surveyable model of the hardware that
almost immediately can be implemented in any OO programming language, be it
Java, C++, or what have ya.
* Hardware experts that are not ardent programmers can evaluate the design
and point out hardware limitations.
* Division of labour: One or two persons (or more) can work on one component
while other persons (or teams) work on others, whenever they have time...

Also, a lot of components we might consider incorporating, have already been
emulated in one form or another, so we can save time by reusing these. A lot
is in C, so that is easy enough. If necessary, we can decompile any intel
assembly code using software like boomerang:
http://boomerang.sourceforge.net/

What do you guys think?

All the best,

Fedor