[Coco] My introduction - a newbie

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sat Jan 27 02:28:20 EST 2007

Ok, a quick check on rtsi reveals the following:  Play Ver 5 uses the
Orch-90 to play digitized samples under OS-9, though it appears it uses
only one channel.  (dis)assembly source is included.  There is also an
intriguing looking program called SoundMaster 2.0, which also runs under
OS-9 and allows you to construct sounds for the SSC.  The docs seem to
suggest that upgrading it to work at 2MHz is optional, as it includes 2
versions of a driver, one of which apparently slows down the CoCo when
accessing the SSC, or something like that.  There's a bunch more
programs under 6x09/sound, so who knows what else there might be.  On
the RS-DOS side there are 4 ARC files of what are likely to be
Orchestra-90 music files that compile and play using the built-in ROM
software.  I might also add that the CC version of Orchestra-90 came
after Orchestra-80, Orchestra-85, and Orchestra-90 for the TRS-80 Model
I, I believe.  As far as I can tell, the music files, which tell the
firmware how to construct a song from, what I guess amounts to ROM-based
wave tables, should be basically upward compatible.  Ira Goldklang has a
*ton* of Orch files on his web site, with links to others:
http://www.trs-80.com/trs80-o.htm

According to L. Curtis Boyle's games list, John R. Strong still sells
two games for $15 each that support the Orchestra-90 CC:  Soviet Bloc,
which is a Tetris clone, and Gems, which looks like a game called Jewel
Box that I've played in Linux.

It looks like Ghana Bwana, Adventure In Mythology, Lansford Mansion,
Gantlet, The Interbank Incident, Gold Runner II, and Martian Crypt
support the SSC if present.

JCE