[Coco] [Color Computer] Older site.

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Fri Jan 26 03:31:43 EST 2007

>Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 18:34:37 -0800 (PST)
>From: Dan Olson <dano at agora.rdrop.com>
>
>That much I knew, but for some reason thought the switch to ROM was more
>of a design change instead of something that was always intended but left
>out due to a time crunch.

<Shrug>I was told it was a "we must ship NOW" sort of issue.  As I
said, I'm not really up on my Amiga lore.

>I might be one of those fanatics, if only the WOM was larger, it would
>allow newer kickstarts past 1.x without the need to open the machine and
>switch out a ROM.  I'm a believer in using removable media for the OS if
>you've got it, so that upgrades and such are easily done down the road.

Well, if the original development team hadn't run out of money and had
to sell out to Commodore, who knows what the later Amigas would have
looked like.  I mean, on most machines, the ROM doesn't change all
that much.

>I know, I have a 500 with a 2.x kickstart that I've started using just
>for that reason, otherwise I like the 1000 much better.

If I could have found a 1.3 compatible version of that weird
lisp-based "install" program, I never would have upgraded.  All I want
is to install all my old games on the hard drive so the original disks
won't get eaten!

>Huh, I would have thought that true of all of them, interesting!

I'm not sure why, but bootable hard drives have always been really
rare for the CoCo.  Other than extended Disk BASICs there are
practically no third-party (completely non-Tandy) ROMs.  Even Tandy's
hard drive controller, which was just an adaptor for the Model III/4
expansion bus, doesn't have a boot ROM.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA