[Coco] Ideas for Sock's HiColor Code

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Thu Jan 25 22:36:56 EST 2007

Robert Gault wrote:
> Joel Ewy wrote:
>
>> Thanks go to John K. again for releasing the source for HiColor.
>>
>> Here are some of the ideas I have in relation to it:
>>
>> 1.  Re-comment the code and make it assemble on Mamou assembler, where
>> source code size shouldn't be such an issue.
>> <snip>
>> Just some thoughts.
>>
>> JCE
>>

> All your ideas are good ones and I'd really like a to see a block
> diagram of the "image processing / dithering routines". However, even
> the most common editor/assembler for the Coco EDTASM has no problems
> with source code for files 8K and larger. You just need to break up the
> code into small chunks and use a main file which is just a list of includes.
>
> 	ORG $A000
> 	INCLUDE PART1.ASM
> 	INCLUDE PART2.ASM
> 	.
> 	.
> 	.
> 	INCLUDE PART11.ASM
> 	END	$A000
>
> The above will easily assemble Color Basic 1.0 on a real Coco with Disk
> EDTASM without any buffer overflows.

I just based what I said on John K.'s remarks at the time he released
the code.  But using separate source files does seem like a reasonable
thing to do anyway.  I haven't looked at EDTASM for many a year.  But I
still might want to do my development work in Linux anyway.  Here's what
Sockmaster had to say:

"I used EDTASM, but the .asm file is on the borderline of being too large for
EDTASM.  If you plan on adding anything you may either have to use a
different assembler that doesn't mind 32K+ files, or go through the .asm
file and delete all the comments to make room for more code!
btw - That's what I had to do!  Older versions of HiColor have more verbose
comments in the source code, and got more cryptic as more features were added  :( "

JCE