[Coco] CC-Five (was Re: Pseudo CoCo4???) (LONG)

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Thu Jan 25 18:50:06 EST 2007

At 02:09 PM 1/25/2007, you wrote:
>That's a really great idea, but I'm thinking all the external hardware
>to control that pseudo-floppy is expensive. Wouldn't it be cool if the
>CPU core had an alternate register set and memory space? Like a
>user/supervisor mode- you hit a hotkey and the normal processing is
>suspended, you get an on-screen menu to mount/unmount floppy images with
>names and descriptions (instead of a number on an LED display) then you
>can just resume normal operation. Kind of like how MESS works. It would
>probably be less costly from a hardware perspective I would assume.

Ah, the ole CoCo 4 subject that never dies.  :)  Even after 10 years
of ideas like these, I think we've pretty much already got an
advanced enough CoCo 3 to nickname it a 4 if you like.  With all of
the Cloud-9 hardware products, it's more modern than it probably ever
will be.  Now all we need is a new GUI for Disk BASIC that can be put
in the empty bytes of the DECB ROM and possibly in the Ctrl-Alt-Reset
image area of the CoCo 3 ROM.  Of, wait, there was a C-Windows sold
in the past that gave a GUI for Disk BASIC?

I would like to see if a patch can be made for OS-9 Level Two and
NitrOS-9 Level Two for Sock's HiColor graphics mode, but mainly for
MultiVue to give the CoCo 3 an appearance of being a CoCo 4, if you
like, since the video would be awesome compared to the present
limitations.  Ofcourse, if HiColor does horizontal scanline updating
of the palettes then this might not be possible in any OS-driven
environment where you want to do something besides just stare at a
high color picture, as in picture viewers.