[Coco] Ideas for Sock's HiColor Code

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Thu Jan 25 14:36:57 EST 2007

At 09:58 AM 1/25/2007, you wrote:
>Thanks go to John K. again for releasing the source for HiColor.
>
>Here are some of the ideas I have in relation to it:
>
>1.  Re-comment the code and make it assemble on Mamou assembler, where
>source code size shouldn't be such an issue.

Try my CCASM 6809/6309 cross assembler for Windows!

>7.  See if any of these HiColor display modes could be implemented in
>GRFDRV in NitrOS-9...  That would make programming much easier (unless
>you're trying to do action games.)

I think MultiVue would rock under the HiColor technique and real
icons found on the web could be used to replace the old 2 or 4 color
ones.  A *real* background picture with thousands of simulated colors
would Rock under NitrOS-9 and MultiVue.

No offense to Sock. because I'm guilty of this myself, but this is
what happens when we don't release VALUABLE source code years ago
that has no value to the author anymore.  HiColor is the best
graphics mode ever to be designed for the CoCo, unless Sock has
improved on it AGAIN which would blow my mind again.  :)

People!! Put this code to use if you can.

*** Read this ***

Remember, Projector-3 is a modular system, and the array.sys driver
could be replaced to use HiColor if you know what you're
doing.  Projector-3 is already a Rainbow IDE project, ready to
build.  Download my IDE, load the P-3 project, and see if you can
integrate the HiColor mode into the array.asm source file (builds to
array.sys).  This would let us load 15+ picture formats in almost
flicker free video and thousands of colors.  To the person who dives
into this project, remember that array.sys is a stand-alone module
that deals with video modes and color plotting only, so you do NOT
have to worry about how to load a picture into memory, etc.  The core
of P-3 calls on array.sys to plot the colors... you create the pixel
plotting routine for HiColor and the video mode with vertical offset
handling (so P-3 can scroll your tall images).