[Coco] CC-Five (was Re: Pseudo CoCo4???) (LONG)

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Thu Jan 25 12:18:06 EST 2007

A couple questions come to mind here:

1.  Does the CoCo care what kind of microcontroller is in the S/S Pak as
long as it does its job in the expected manner?  I wonder if one could
sub a PIC core (or maybe a 68-something) and then also make it a more
general-purpose I/O processor.  It could help out with faking a floppy
controller and who knows what other kinds of things.  One thing that
shouldn't be emulated is the S/S Pak's failure to run at 2MHz (and above!).
2.  How hard would it be to combine the Orch-90CC and the Speech/Sound
Pak?  I'm not real clear on how the S/S Pak is set up, or where the
dividing line is between analog and digital on it.  But surely an
amplifier is common to both, though the S/S Pak is perhaps just mono?
Putting a stereo amp in the external hardware would just make sense.
Now if the AY3-8913 produces a digital output, that can just be buffered
in one or both channels of the Orch-90, then out to the DAC in the
external hardware.  Otherwise, just add an analog mux in front of the
amp.  I don't know what addresses the S/S Pak uses, or what kind of
space might be left in its register mappings.  Might have to have some
virtual Multi-Pak action going on there.  Might have to improve the
address decode sections and provide a way to select which source has the
audio out bus.  That might require a one-liner to poke a register before
running a program, or a (virtual?) toggle switch for use with ROM Paks.
But ideally one could make these things both work, so the CC-Five (or
whatever), could run just about any existing CoCo program that uses
sound hardware, whether synthesized or sampled.

JCE