[Coco] CC-Five (was Re: Pseudo CoCo4???) (LONG)

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Mon Jan 22 20:54:50 EST 2007

jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
> In doing that  you may limit the hardware or cause an increase in cost for
> hardware to be backward compatible.
>
> Just about anything now to go into a FPGA will require extra hardware to
> interface 3 volt logic to 5 volt logic.
>
> james

Hmm.  How difficult a chore would that be?  What if you didn't bother
with designing the board that has the FPGA on it at all and simply
planned to use off-the-shelf FPGA prototyping or evaluation boards.
Design a CoCo personality board that would have the bus and peripheral
connectors on it, and the DRAM sockets, and the A/D converters, and all
the stuff that wouldn't be found on the FPGA boards.  Include the logic
level conversion on that board and try to design for the future, so that
upgrading would mean replacing only the FPGA board.  Is the logic level
conversion intrinsically difficult/expensive, or is it just another
design consideration?

JCE