[Coco] CC-Five (was Re: Pseudo CoCo4???) (LONG)

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Jan 22 11:01:34 EST 2007

Mark

Just some more mullings:

Which FPGA would be the best to implement a Coco 1 on? If Xilinx, I would
rather see staying in the Spartan 3/3E line over the Virtex lines for cost reasons.
Secondly I would rather see a board that uses two or more FPGAs than  trying to
do it all in one large FPGA. This is mainly due to board construction. After about
400K gate densities, FPGAs are in BGA packages and that would require contract
assembly houses to make the boards and upward to 6 layer boards for routing
issues. Staying with QFP packages will keep the board layers managible at four
layers.

>From what I  have read the Xilinx tools seem to be the better of the free tools out
there. Alterra is a close second. At least for the hardware (HDL) tasks an
agreement on which FPGA to use and an overall cost objective. This will help into
move the direction of the hardware design and what peripheral need upgrading.

Taking John Kent's System09 as a start would be nice. While the SoC peripheral
are mapped for Flex OS, I doubt that mapping them to the COCO I/O range is all
that difficult.

I also have PCB layout experience and could lend time for that.

Someone would have to setup a CVS system so that members of the community
can work on the project.

james