[Coco] More colors on CoCo 1?

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Jan 21 10:31:22 EST 2007

At 06:55 AM 1/21/2007, you wrote:

>Although your choice of extra colours is limited to 13 extra ones in this
>case, the flickering should be much reduced. If you're prepared to tolerate
>a little more flickering, you could allow colour combinations between
>colours having adjacent brightness levels, e.g. 0/1, 1/2, 2/3.

You could even alternate the combination positioning for each
scanline or the other flickered page if you're mixing that way in
addition to the single-page half-tone dithering.  I think the
following might yield about 43 to 49 grayscales that are more
accurate than just using a set of 7 pairs per screen like
(0,0  0,1  1,1  1,2  2,2  2,3  3,3).  The even/odd line patterning
can reduce artifacts and vertical striping.

page 1, even lines
0,0
0,1
1,1
1,2
2,2
2,3
3,3
3,3

page 1, odd lines
0,0
0,0
1,0
1,1
2,1
2,2
3,2
3,3

You can also achieve a simulated vertical resolution increase like
for tall Macintosh pictures, by dividing the picture into two
screens, one containing just the even lines, and the other containing
just the odd lines.