[Coco] 6x09 instruction timings

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sat Jan 20 18:21:05 EST 2007

On 20 Jan 2007 at 17:01, Joel Ewy wrote:

> Ok, stupid question.
>
> I know that the Q clock and the E clock are 180 degrees out of phase,
> and that the CPU uses this relationship to separately clock different
> internal states.  But when reading instruction set timings, a cycle is
> one complete cycle of the E clock, without respect to what Q is doing
> (though their period is the same), is that correct?  So at 1.78 MHz, 1
> cycle of the E clock is a little more than .56 microseconds, if I
> understand this correctly.

In the MC6809/HD6309 the E clock period is the determination for cycle time. At High speed
the Coco's have a cycle time of 579 nanoSec. The Q clock is phased shifted by 90degrees
and leads the E clock by that phase. The Q clock is used internally to gate sychronous
operation fo the internal logic for the MC6809 and probably for gating some ot the
microcode states within the HD6309.

james