[Coco] DECB FAT question

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Wed Jan 17 14:52:30 EST 2007

At 01:21 AM 1/17/2007, you wrote:
>Would have been nice if Microsoft had specified a "bad granule" code.
>Well, the only real difference is that bad sectors marked used will
>still cause problems with BACKUP.  Well, they did have to pack
>everything into a small ROM.

I would hope that by now Microsoft knows that the rest of the world
masks out bad sectors instead of calling the entire drive bad.

My old Burke & Burke HD system for the CoCo could format a drive that
was chock full of bad areas and still come out with a useable
drive.  My drive was going bad (or the heads?) so every now and then
I'd get a new bad sector popping up, so I would reformat the drive
periodically.  It was a Tandy 10-meg, which I could copy to my
Seagate 42-meg for backups and such.