[Coco] DECB FAT question

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Tue Jan 16 12:31:23 EST 2007

At 02:05 AM 1/16/2007, you wrote:

>So, one thing I've been wondering:  Are there any Disk BASIC programs
>that will ignore allocated granule chains in the FAT if they don't
>have a directory entry?
>
>For example, my evil hybrid CP/M - CoCo disk.  The first 32 granules
>are marked as a single file in the CoCo FAT, but I didn't create a
>directory entry for that chain.  Are there programs out there that
>would have a problem with this?

I think that Disk BASIC checks the FAT data alone, not the directory
entries, to see which granules on the disk are free.

In fact, you can "fix" faulty disks by marking the bad sectors
(actually, 9 at a time, a granule), as bad or unuseable.  The file
storage routines will skip right over those granules when looking for
free ones.