[Coco] hybrid CoCo-CP/M disk

Darren A. darccml at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 15 12:14:39 EST 2007

>From: Robert Gault:
>
>... At least one Coco software package uses the entire track 17. RGB-DOS
>used the last sector of T17 for a disk label. I think some software may
>have stored a copy of the FAT or perhaps the entire directory in the
>latter half of T17.

-
This is a good point. If you wish to be compatible with third-party versions
of Disk Basic, then you should probably exclude CP/M from touching any part
of track 17. You *may* also need to be concerned about marking tracks 35-39
as alllocated, since most third-party versions support 40 tracks. However, I
would imagine that they must put some information somewhere on Track 17 to
indicate if the disk is not a standard 35 track Shack format.

Of course, with a third-party Basic that supports double-sided 40 track
disks, you could make a hybrid disk with most of side 0 (except track 17)
devoted to CP/M, and side 1 available for Disk Basic!

By the way, I wrote a Disk Basic program that will format a specific range
of tracks. This could be used after the CP/M formatting to restore the
proper interleave to the CoCo tracks. Let me know if you're interested
(off-list).

Darren