[Coco] [Color Computer] Voice Simulator

Roger Taylor webmaster at coco3.com
Mon Jan 8 14:28:24 EST 2007

At 01:14 PM 1/3/2007, you wrote:
>I remember seeing an ad in Hot CoCo many years ago that featured a voice
>simulator, sort of an artificial intelligence program.  I am wondering
>if anyone here remembers that ad, and that product, and whether anyone
>here actually had or has it.  I'm curious to know how well this worked,
>twenty years ago.

I also wrote a speech program for the CoCo called CVOX.  It preloads
about 48 or so phonemes into memory and you build your words and
sentences by joining the right speech parts together in an ASCII
string like "R-AH-J-R" for "Roger", or "H-EH-L-OH" for "Hello".

I think the last version added delays and pitch control.  The goal
for CVOX never happened but I was working on it when I was married,
with my wife's clear voice for the speech you heard.  I think we
recorded some 10 or so phonemes perfectly so they join with other
ones kinda seamlessly, but she got frustrated with how many takes it
was taking to get it right and the project was put on
"hold".  :)  That version of CVOX was also going to be
background-driven from Disk BASIC where you send the speech commands
to a simulated hardware port much like how the SSC Pak works, and
waited on the speech to arrive.  I did some testing in that area and
it worked well most of the time considering how many BASIC programs
were compatible or not.

This leads to another topic... real-time speech and sound is very
possible with the CoCo 3 using the GIME interrupt system.  That's
right, totally background-driven music and audio blasts like sound
effects and so forth.  Many games probably already use the
concept.  My old Spider-Hype games have 4-channel background music
which are actually MUSICA 2 files being played by the IRQ and FIRQ
interrupt routines, with IRQ keeping time and FIRQ doing the PCM
pumping.  The same idea can be applied to generating speech in the
background of a CoCo game or program.

--
Roger Taylor