[Coco] What about the double speed upgrade?

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Sun Jan 7 22:41:41 EST 2007

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 11:57:34 -0600, John Kowalski <sock at axess.com> wrote:

> At 10:50 AM 07/01/2007 -0600, L. Curtis Boyle wrote:
>> On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 22:49:25 -0600, John Kowalski <sock at axess.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Bob Puppo designed one too?  There was *yet another* guy who was trying
>>> do something similar at the time that I was doing mine too.  His
>>> idea/approach was very different from mine, so the performance would
>>> have
>>> been very different.  I don't know if he actually did build it, though.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how Bob's design would have worked and how much it
>>> affected
>>> CPU performance?  Was it sold?
>>>
>>    It was originally done on a Coco 3 around 1989, I think. It was part
>> of
>> the original design of the TC-9 (later ditched because it require too
>> much
>> tweaking on each manufactured board).
>>

> Interesting!  I hadn't heard about this before.  It might possibly run
> under
> the exact same principle because I sat on mine for years for the same
> reason.  Every different combination of CoCo3/CPU/GIME hardware required
> the
> board to be carefully tuned to work reliably.
>
> I ran my BBS on my overclocked CoCo 3 for years before I had internet
> access
> and later put up web page about the clock doubler.  It was great for the
> BBS
> - combined with a 6309, my own software and modified RS-232 hardware
> (running at 38400 bps with no lost incoming characters even *during* HALT
> disk IO!)
> It was *very* fast.
>
>                                          John Kowalski (Sock Master)
>                                          http://www.axess.com/twilight/sock/

     I know.. I sent Paul Barton one of my Coco 3's to put the No-Can 3 in
(which includes the clock doubler circuit), and he never could get it
working (rest of the board worked fine)... so, it may not even be possible
on all Coco 3's. You can check the original adds for the Tomcat that say
33% faster (or something like that), and then how they dropped that part
of the ad once they discovered the timing problems. Too bad Nitros9 didn't
come out at the same time as the TC-9... we could have truthfully
advertised an even bigger speed up, and then maybe it would have done
better. I believe Bob's used the AVMA line on the 6809... that is the same
as your's, correct?

--
L. Curtis Boyle