[Coco] What about the double speed upgrade?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jan 6 12:19:18 EST 2007

On Saturday 06 January 2007 11:52, Joel Ewy wrote:
>This thread was originally about the 6309 and Sockmaster's 4MHz
>circuit.  Here's a summary as I see it:
>
>1.  The 63B09s Cloud9 sells are compatible with Sockmaster's circuit.
>Though they (and the 68B09) are really only rated for 2 MHz, they will
>very likely work.  Kowalski's upgrade does overclock the CPU.  Even a
>63C09, which is rated for 3MHz, would probably be run somewhat out of
>spec with this circuit.  But that's the nature of overclocking.
>Sockmaster's upgrade however, does not run the CPU at double speed most
>of the time.  It just inserts extra, faster clock pulses during periods
>when the CPU is not doing an external access.  So the extra heat
>generated by overclocking would have more time to dissipate.  This is a
>smart, and, I would suspect, relatively safe form of overclocking.  I
>think that if I were to build this circuit I might add a heat sink to
>the 6309.  But otherwise, I wouldn't be afraid to try it out.

I don't think a heatsink would be required Joel.  A stock 63C09 in my
machine runs at maybe 5 degrees above ambient, my finger says no
detectable heat.  With mine on an external psu & all that stuff pulled
from the board, and a disto 2 meg kit in it, I've laid photo thermometers
on the grill above the ram, and piled blankets on the whole thing.
Sticking a hand under the blankets, no noticeable heat, even many hours
later.  When I did pull the blankets, the photo thermometer, a dial type,
was showing 2 degrees higher than it did after I picked it up and waved
it around to get an ambient reading.  I think most of that heat rise came
from the gime.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)