[Coco] [coco] video signal generation

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jan 5 15:28:05 EST 2007

On Friday 05 January 2007 12:45, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
>Y ou may want to consider changing the electrolytic to ceramic if the
> value is not to high.  Albeit somewhat expensive, ceramic caps to about
> 10 uF are available.

I've not found them to be terribly dependable James.  Very low tolerance
for any overvoltage.  The Panasonic dvc-pro's had a few of those here and
there, and the failure rates were about 20% of the teeny little surface
mount electrolytics around them.  So we carried them on the shelf too.
Smallish qtys of course, but then we were buying the electrolytics on 100
count tapes toward the last of my tenure in that chair.  The electrolytic
failures were opens and high esr's, generally non-destructive, the
ceramics crowbared, so we noticed the destruction quickly.  Things get
interesting when you have to figure out which trace in a 6 layer board
goes where so you can jumper the burnout.  I gave up and started
replacing the whole board after a while, it was quicker.

I could say do it, but use ones rated at least 2x the supply voltage.  6
volters on a 5 volt line don't cut it for the long haul.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)