[Coco] What about the double speed upgrade?

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Thu Jan 4 18:29:36 EST 2007

It's been a while since I looked at Sockmaster's 4MHz upgrade, but IIRC,
it increases the clock speed for the CPU only.  E remains at 2MHz for
the rest of the system.

However I also seem to remember that much of the speed increase would be
lost on the 6309.  I don't recall the exact details right now, but
essentially it had to do with the fact that the upgrade inserts extra
clock pulses during certain phases of the instruction cycle.  On the
6809 these would have the effect of speeding up some of the internal
processing that the CPU does between bus accesses.  But when the 6309 is
running in native mode, it already does some of this processing in fewer
clock cycles anyway, so you don't gain as much.  On the other hand, it
would give you some of the same benefits of running in native mode even
when you're running BASIC programs, etc.  And the 63C09 is rated for a
higher speed than the 68B09, so you wouldn't be overclocking it as
much.  I realize these details are incomplete.  Somebody help me out if
they are incorrect.

JCE