[Coco] [Color Computer] [coco] Shell Scripts

tim lindner tlindner at macmess.org
Mon Jan 1 18:39:43 EST 2007

George's Coco Address <yahoo at dvdplayersonly.com> wrote:

>  Now, I thought that OS9 would automatically use the current window/terminal
> as the default for I/O. It seems that sometimes, I have to force it to use
> the terminal I'm in.

When a process is started in OS9 the child process get the same first
three paths (input, output, and error) as the parent process. That is
what happens by definition.

So imagine a shell process taking input from your script file (standard
input redirected from a file). Then the shell encounters a command to
start a process called dloadx.

By default the dloadx process will _also_ have the standard input set to
the _same_ file as the shell process does.

You have to use <>>> to tell the shell that you want it to start the
subprocess with different input, output and error.

--
tim lindner
tlindner at macmess.org                                              Bright