[Coco] Rainbow IDE 2.0 progress

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Thu Jan 25 21:52:47 EST 2007

Hey gang,

Just some Rainbow IDE 2.0 features you'll probably love.  I should
release this version in less than a week.

By choosing the ROM Pak option for the output object, you can
auto-mount that ROM (cart) in M.E.S.S. when it launches.  However, if
you ALSO add a floppy disk image to the project, the ROM will get
sent to the floppy disk instead, and the DISK will be mounted.  This
allows ROMs to be built onto CoCo floppy disks, OR built as a .ROM
file on your PC.

You can also add a binary component to your project, such as a .rom
file, and use any "ROM" option for the output object, and the .rom
will either get mounted and run as-is when you launch M.E.S.S., or it
will be sent to a floppy disk if you have floppy disk images in your
project.  The resulting disk will contain exact copies of the
PC-stored .rom files.  See the logic?  Source code or binary ->
source processor -> output object (copy it or assemble it) ->
destination media.

So!  Rainbow IDE can be also used as a fancy "imgtool" or "port.exe",
etc. for moving files from your PC onto floppy disks.  Not only that,
but those files can be source code built into binaries, or source
code kept as-is.

Rainbow 2.0 will mount cassette tape images as well that CCASM can
produce!  That's right... go from source code to a running CoCo
cassette tape in one click.  M.E.S.S. will pop up and the tape will
be in the virtual tape deck.  Type CLOAD or CLOADM and you're cooking.

Whether you're developing a floppy disk game, ROM Pak game, or
cassette tape game, the Rainbow IDE is fully ready to take on the
most serious projects with minimal configuration and
headaches.  Actually, we need more CoCo apps in addition to games,
and it can handle it all.

Please consider trying out Rainbow 2.0 when I release it.  It really
is becoming a CoCo programmer's dream tool (for Windows, that is).  :)

Cheers, and have a great weekend.
www.rainbowide.com