[Coco] My introduction - a newbie

Marcus Vinicius Garrett Chiado marcus.chiado at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 20:18:46 EST 2007

Dear friends,

My name is Marcus, I'm 33 years old and I live in Brazil. I'm a
collector of classic video game systems and 8 bit computers. In my
collection I have Atari 2600, IntelliVision, ColecoVision, Atari 8 Bit
(800, 800 XL, 1200 XL), Commodore 128 & 128 D, Apple II GS, the british
ZX-Spectrum, the japanese MSX and many others. You may see pictures of
my collection here: http://retrogames.cl/foro/viewtopic.php?t=368

The case is: I've been reading recently about the CoCo 3 and its
graphics hooked me. I was impressed with such games as Rampage, Thexder,
Rad Warrior and Koronis Rift. Indeed, COOL stuff! I must say I never
owned a CoCo before, no matter the existence of a CoCo 2 clone in
Brazil, the CP 400.

I'm buying a CoCo 3 (with 512 Kb), a disk drive system and a DriveWire
from Cloud-9 (Mark). I've got tons of questions since I've never seen a
CoCo in my life. May you please help me? By the way, I plan to use my
CoCo 3 solely for gaming purposes.

1) Does DriveWire work pretty much like the Atari 8 Bit's SIO2PC and
APE? Is it possible to run everything from a PC in an "independent" way?

2) By using DriveWire, is it easy to copy games from PC to real
floppies? What copier should I use?

3) All games run under OS-9 and R-DOS? Are there restrictions?

4) Where could I find most of the games? An FTP server maybe?

5) Are those 512 Kb games really cool?

Well, that's it. Thanks in advance and I apologize for my English.

By the way, I'm also the editor of a free electronic magazine on classic
gaming, Jogos 80 (Games 80). It is for free and may be downloaded from
this address: http://www.revista-jogos80.cjb.net

For the current edition we have interviewed Mr. Ralph Baer, creator of
Brown Box/Odyssey, and Howard Scott Warshaw, creator/programmer of Yars'
Revenge, Raiders of the Lost Ark and E. T.

Take care and greetings from Brazil,

MARCUS VINICIUS GARRETT CHIADO
ICQ: 91164480 - MSN: garrettimus at hotmail.com
Sao Paulo - SP - Brasil
Editor da Jogos 80: http://www.revista-jogos80.cjb.net
Colecionador de videogames antigos e de micros 8 bits
"Quem tem um(a) filho(a), tem o maior tesouro do mundo"