[Coco] Rainbow IDE 2.0

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Jan 21 17:01:59 EST 2007

If any of you Rainbow users have some ideas for web-based
interaction, I'm about to implement a UrlGet function into some of
the IDE features that can read files from the web, such as .txt,
.dat, .asm, or whatever.

My ideas for now are to check for IDE updates to some of the
components, and offer to replace them automatically if you want; to
allow for #urlinclude in your source code so you can assemble
prewritten programs, subroutines, and equates stored at
www.rainbowide.com, etc.; and to provide team programming support
such as open source projects (but the latter will require an
additional FtpPut function if I can pull that off later).

The UrlGet implentation will be totally safe and have download-only
capabilities.  No uploads or web posting is even possible with this
tool, so that is out of the question.

What led me to this idea is a new feature coming out in Rainbow's
parent language (HLA) called @system(); which allows for the running
of commands during the compile process.  If those commands issue
stdout.put commands, the content can be included dynamically.  If
that command is a UrlGet command that can retrieve from the web,
well... the ideas are endless.  I haven't gotten that upgrade yet to
HLA, but I do have a UrlGet command that I plan to put as an option
in CCASM as well using a forced switch to allow those statements to
retrieve source code lines from a web URL.  Otherwise, the assembler
will operate as normal with absolutely no internet capabilities.

The Rainbow IDE has upgradeable components and DLLs that can be
replaced easily by overwriting the original file and restarting the
IDE.  This should allow you to upgrade components from the web
without downloading the whole IDE installer again just by seeing
what's new and then checking the box next to what you want to
upgrade.  Although this is not my main goal for using UrlGet, it will
be a nice addition as well as checking to see if you've got the
latest version of Rainbow.

I'll definately add the option to download and install whatever BIOS
ROMs you need for M.E.S.S. emulation of any system supported.  I
think I almost have the entire collection which will be stored on my
server so the IDE can see and download them to the place M.E.S.S.
expects them to be.

I imagine a CoCo software depot can be maintained (even ready-to-run
IDE projects) so that the IDE can show you a large menu of what's
available and then you'd click on that item to load/edit or launch it
in the emulator.

The fun is only beginning.