[Coco] OT: Keeping Current.... ("loaded" Linux Qs)

Mannequin* mannslists at invigorated.org
Wed Feb 28 16:31:03 EST 2007

wdg3rd at comcast.net wrote:
> From: Mannequin* <mannslists at invigorated.org>

>> KDE is just as nice but in different areas. KDE gives the user the
>> benefit of the doubt. It gives the user options. Not only that, but
>> KDE also has some quite mature apps that are pretty powerful. I'm
>> not saying the Gnome doesn't (think GIMP here), but there are
>> things that KDE has that Gnome needs, IMHO.
>
> The GIMP is tied to no specific window manager.  It's older (1995)
> <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.windows.x.apps/msg/b5a9a98ef1e9fd4d?oe=UTF-8&output=gplain>
> than either KDE (1996) <http://www.kde.org/history/> or Gnome (not
> sure when it started, can't find references on Google older than
> 1998).  The G in GIMP stands for GNU, not Gnome.

My fault. I didn't make myself understood. I know that GIMP doesn't have
anything in common with Gnome except for GTK+.

Gnome 1.x showed up between the last Redhat 5.x releases and 6.0
releases. So, I think that 1998 isn't too far off.

>> In my experience, though, I've been able to run KDE stuff in Gnome
>> and the same in reverse. As long as the proper libs are installed,
>> I haven't seen any issues in that regard. (Other can correct me
>> here if I'm wrong...)
>
> Right as rain.  I use both desktops as the mood strikes, but my sole
> mail program (when I'm not at work where I have to use Comcast's
> crappy webmail interface) is kmail. -- Ward Griffiths

I've never been able to use kmail. I used to use Mutt, GNUS, and
Sylpheed all with fetchmail being used to actually get the mail. I then
moved to Evolution, then back to Sylpheed. But with Sylpheed's lack of a
decent SPAM filter, other than making your own, I've finally landed on
Thunderbird. I'm not as happy with it as I could be (I'd still rather be
using fetchmail), but it works quite well, especially the SPAM filter.
Anyone notice my move from pretty good to just okay? :)

-M.