[Coco] RELIC Is Coming (was Re: [ON TOPIC] The Amsterdam Compiler Kit)

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Tue Feb 27 22:21:54 EST 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 10:02:47PM -0500, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:

> RedHat Enterprise is not free and one app I have will run on only RedHat
> Enterprise 3 or 4 and Windoze 2K or XP.  Two other apps have no Linux
> counterparts and I use them regularly enough to not warrant learning another OS
> and going through the dual boot issues and hassles.

Whatever you got for RHEL, it ought to run on CentOS or they are
doing something wrong...

	http://www.centos.org/

For that matter, 9 times out of 10 if something runs on RHEL it will
work on Fedora (and probably other distros).  The main exception would
be if an app has a custom installer that actually tries to identify
the distro and refuses to install.

If Windows is such a hard req for you and you actually are interested
in running Linux, you might investigate running a QEMU or VMWare
virtual machine (hosted either way), or using a paravirtualizer like
CoLinux or (if your hardware is new enough) Xen.

Hth...

John
--
John W. Linville