[Coco] RELIC Is Coming (was Re: [ON TOPIC] The Amsterdam Compiler Kit)

Boisy Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Mon Feb 26 07:38:12 EST 2007

Hey M,

I was going to wait and post on this in a few months, but I saw your
message.  Interesting.

This closely mirrors a compiler project that I am working on for my
semester project in graduate school.  My compiler tool chain is
called RELIC (REtargetable Language Independent Compiler) and is
architected just like this one.  It is based on PCCTS (the Perdue
Compiler Construction Tool Set) and is a continuation of work I did
for my undergraduate compiler class.

While RELIC can support other languages (and indeed there are PCCTS
grammar files for a number of popular ones), right now RELIC's front-
end language is "Ragin' Basic" which is a subset of Basic09.  That
front-end component reads in code from a file and puts it out to i-
code, which is then passed through an optimizer, then onto be6809, a
back-end which translates the i-code to 6809 assembly.  That code is
then pushed to rma then to rlink for linking.  I've created many
small test programs, and to automate the testing process, I run a
script which performs the compiler steps, then copies the executable
to an OS-9 disk image using ToolShed.  That disk is then mounted into
the emulator where I boot into NitrOS-9 and run the test cases.

That's correct.  I am using the CoCo and NitrOS-9 as the basis
platform for my semester project.  The professor who is monitoring my
work started out as an Apple II head and thinks it's really cool.

There are some shortcomings: the implementation of the Ragin' Basic
language in my current front-end is a bit limited and executables are
way bigger than they need to be because the optimizer needs work, but
I am creating NitrOS-9 executables that run on a CoCo using this
compiler tool chain, and they work.

I plan on exhibiting the documentation and demonstrating the compiler
at the CoCoFest at my booth at the end of March.

After I've completed the project (sometime in May), I fully intend to
make it available to the CoCo community to embrace and extend.

Call me a cynic, but past efforts to get a true cross-compiler system
for the CoCo have always ended up yielding nothing.  There was gcc,
sdcc, and now this.  RELIC is running NOW under Linux and Mac OS X as
a cross compiler to CoCo/NitrOS-9 and is generating executables NOW.
My hope is that a lot of the talk about compilers that has been
generated on this list over the years will finally transform itself
into action, and interested parties will take RELIC to the next level.

Boisy