[Coco] Keeping current... ????

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Feb 25 21:16:14 EST 2007

On Sunday 25 February 2007, farna at att.net wrote:
>John W. Linville wrote:
>> Forgive me for presuming that someone running RH8 might not exactly
>> be "keeping current" with current events in Linux.  :-)  If you are
>> already using Ubuntu, then you should know what you are getting.
>
>Is it just me, or does it seem odd that someone on a CoCo list is
> "complaining" about someone not "keeping current" on an OS??? ;>

Chuckle, I could see that one coming. :-)  But I think it probably
appropriate to consider that the coco hasn't been made in 18 years now,
but that the hardware *most* linux runs on is in current production.  I
think it goes without saying that one is expected to keep his hardware
for his main machines at a level that isn't too far out of date.

Like if AMC was still making cars, wouldn't you have one in the drive that
hasn't started to rust out yet?

Whose headlight were still nice and bright instead of looking like a 10
year old ford or mopar where the headlights are so old & yellowed you
have to get out with a flashlight or light a match to see if they're lit?

Yes, the 97 Dodge Caravan I traded for this 99 GMC had already had both
headlight housings replaced because they were getting so dim they were
useless.  Go ahead, price them but I'll save you the trouble, they are
$340 a copy.  My '88 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD pickup has glass headlights
with replaceable lamps in them, and it still has the best headlights of
anything in the driveway today, including the fresh headlamp assemblies
in that 99 GMC.

I still don't understand why the car driving public hasn't long since
brought a class action suit against the automakers, sueing for free, all
glass headlights replacements that don't scratch up, get foggy and yellow
with age.  These old yellowed plastic things are a hazard on the road at
night for the driver, and for everyone around him.  One wonders how many
people a year they kill just because the driver can't see that deer
walking in front of him soon enough to take evasive action.

I guess I got well off topic, but if a rant of mine saves a life of
someone on this list, well...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)