[Coco] Soldering Iron

Steve Bjork 6809er at bjork-huffman.net
Fri Feb 23 10:49:40 EST 2007

Good Day Chester,

First of all, please because careful!  You are working on an old
computer that is very hard to replace. It couldn't hurt to practise
on a few corpses (dead computer parts) before working on a family
member like the coco.

With that said, there are a few good "Hot to solder" websites to help
remembering some of theose do's and don'ts of soldering. Just do a
Google search on the subject and you will find sites like:
http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/solder.htm and the very good:
http://www.mediacollege.com/misc/solder/

With that out of the way, Let's get to the irons...

The cheap 15 to 30 watt irons ($10 to $20 range) can handle most PC
boards jobs.  Please be careful not to overheat the PC board's
paths.  Very easy to do with standard iron because they don't control
how hot the part gets, you do by how long you hold the iron on the
part.  This is a the reason why most on this list will recommend a
iron with variable temperature control.

A variable temperature control iron will monitor the heat near the
tip and adjust the power level as needed. (This makes it very hard to
overheat (damage) the PC paths because you left it on the board far too long.)

I have a few friends that got the Radio Shack Digital Soldering
Station  (64-2185) and it has worked out well, for the most
part.  While you can get the iron at most stores, you have to order
the smaller tips need for PC board work.  XYTRONIC INDUST makes a
analog display, 45 Watt unit that sells for about $60 at jameco.com.
(Once again, you may need to order smaller tips with the iron.)

The bottom line, you can go the cheap route, but you run the risk of
trashing your beloved coco.  I'd would play it safe and get the right
tool for PC board work.

For the cheapest solution, find a friend that already have a good
soldering station and do the work there.  If you live near Whittier
(20 miles east of Los Angles, CA.), you are more than welcome to use
my work bench.

I hope this helps,

Steve Bjork