[Coco] Soldering Iron

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 22 17:08:04 EST 2007

Frank Pittel wrote:
> I'm partial to the Wellar soldering irons. Whatever you get make sure
> that it has a grounded tip!!

That's fine until you start soldering to something that has a floating
earth :) (My TV does), and you can get quite a significant potential
difference between the iron and it, enough to make me go ow! anyway :)
I wasn't expecting it either, because the computer I was working on was
switched off, though still connected to the TV by the video lead :( It's
not normally a problem for the CoCo/Dragon, as they are properly
earthed, and so are at 0v with relation to the floating earth.

Not that I am suggesting an earthed tip is a bad thing it is not, but
just that you do still need to be careful :)

Cheers.

Phill.