[Coco] Using a NTSC Coco in the UK - my findings

Mannequin* mannslists at invigorated.org
Thu Feb 22 16:20:54 EST 2007

jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
> On 22 Feb 2007 at 15:20, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>> I suspect this is going to happen more and more often, so I recommend
>> getting a "plcc" puller from the shack, and reseating the gime.  We
>> had the same problems with the amiga's as they aged, requiring both
>> the agnus chip and the socket be separated and both cleaned up with a
>> WET pencil eraser, WET to hold down the static, then blown dry to
>> remove the eraser debris before reseating the chip in the socket.
>> Commie never heard of gold flashing anything, just like the shack.
>
> ******************
> ARGH the wet pencil eraser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> I have always used alcohol and a Q tip. Pencil erasers leave residue that has oils
> in them. I use alcolhol from Walgreens that is 90%. SOme outlets you can find up
> to 95%. Th at is even better.

LMAO. Before working in a Macintosh only store, I used to use just a dry
pencil eraser. During and after working there, it became a good ol'
fashioned can of Tun-O-Wash and a Q tip. Before I left home for this
cold cunck of rock (UK'ers in here please don't kill me! ;) ) the store
that I was able to find it in went belly-up. I have no idea where to
find it anymore. :(

-M.