[Coco] [Color Computer] What happend to http://www.nitros9.org/

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Feb 21 14:21:43 EST 2007

On Wednesday 21 February 2007, Christopher Hawks wrote:
>Guys:
>
>	Here's my experiences.
>
>	Last night starting about 8:30 pm central...
>
>	Downloaded nitros9 'cvs
>-z3-d:pserver:anonymous at nitros9.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/nitros9 co
>nitros9' took about an hour.
>
>	Updated nitros9 'cvs -z3
>-d:pserver:anonymous at nitros9.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/nitros9 up
>-Pd' took 45 minutes (source tree didn't change).

After a long bitch session with vz's un-tech support, and another 2-3
hours, I pulled the whole tree fresh in about 55 minutes.  For
sorceforges cvs server, that's running at mach 4.

A du . returns 50764 disk blocks.  cd'ing to /home/shop/emc2.head where I
have the emc2 HEAD tree stashed for local reference, a cvs up -Pd takes 5
or 6 minutes, and a du . returns 66528, a slightly larger tree.  But on
balance, probably fewer actual files because they're bigger.

I still have an open trouble ticket with vz's un-tech support.

>	I don't use SF a lot (all of the projects I work on are elsewhere),
>but, it's always worked (sometimes a bit slow).

Well, as you have seen from my previous messages, sourceforge is one
achilles heel that was removed from the emc2 development effort.
Progress there is now running at 5 to 10x its former rate.  I believe
that by the time these guys get to emc-2.5, (its at 2.1 now) they will
have blown all other commercial efforts at cnc machine control plumb out
of the water.  We can now cut threads at any pitch you'd like, on both a
lathe and on a milling machine given spindle encoders that have a zero
index pulse output.  Also, compound, non-circular shapes in 3d now work,
I've even done some of that myself on my little toy mill.  It has been
able to run 6 axis stuff for a long time.  Paul Corner has put together a
live cd called bdi (for brain dead install) that will actually run live
from the cd.  But I warn you, its addictive...

>--
>Christopher R. Hawks
>HAWKSoft
>Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million
>typewriters, and Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare.

I think we need a better model of monkey. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)