[Coco] [Color Computer] What happend to http://www.nitros9.org/

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Feb 20 17:06:51 EST 2007

On Tuesday 20 February 2007, Roger Merchberger wrote:
>Rumor has it that Gene Heskett may have mentioned these words:
>>I give up. sourceforge wins again.  I hope Boisy has an image someplace
>>else safe.
>>[...]
>
>Part II...
>
>[[ And once again, I *solemnly* ask -- Is there a way to disable or
> remap <CTRL><E> in Eudora 5 to *not send immediately*??? Ungh. That's
> "go to end of line" in dang near anything 'nixish/emaxish, so that's
> what I'm accustomed to... ]]]
>
>Anyway, pardon the truncated previous message with bad formatting;
> that's what I was trying to undo before relying on my reflexes instead
> of my brain...
>
>One thing you'll have to figure out is did the signal 11 originate from
>your machine, or from the server end? If it was your machine, it could
>indicate memory (or other hardware) errors, or a bug in the compiled
>version of CVS you have. Depending on your linux distro; see if there's
> an updated package. If you self-compiled, check the optimization flags
> you used, and maybe pare them back some (-Os kicked me a couple times
> with a few packages in the past; a few things don't like -O3) or,
> maybe, drop down to an older version of gcc (if you used 4, try 3; if
> you were at a stable 3, try good ol' venerable 2.95... ;-)
>
>Or it could've been an invalid response from the server, that the CVS
>version you have wasn't configured to handle...
>
>If it was on their end, then their shiznit is b0rked.... (You can quote
> me on that; those technical terms can indeed be deep. ;-)
>
>HTH,
>Roger "Merch" Merchberger

Sourceforges shizn!t has been b0rked forever, Roger.  The guys working on
emc2 couldn't afford the time lags the lack of dependability of
sourceforges cvs server enforced on the progress of development when they
were working at 20+ commits a day, and sourceforge only let any one of
them (there are about a 6 pack of core developers & maybe another 12 pack
sweetening up the pot from time to time) in to work 2 or 3 times a week,
so the kind folks at Sherline (who FWIW, have their own dog in this fight
in the form of some small desktop machines they sell that runs this
software) donated a machine and the bandwidth to host the server there.
The guys wrote some wrappers for the commit function that rebuilds all
branches of the tree everytime a commit comes in, and emails anybody
subscribed to the emc.commit list any errors in the compile, complete
with the compilers exit stanza.

That's at least as good a deal as bottled beer or sliced bread, and
assures that the tree stays pretty much in a 'clean to build' condition
99% of the time.  That is how real development should proceed IMO.  That
tree has been known to be rebuilt because of commits, 30+ times a day!

BTW, Roger, where are you, maybe I'll look you up the next time I hit the
UP.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)